Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Reality in Style Dress Review - UPDATED


Please see newest post for more info!

When one of the co-founders of Reality in Style contacted me, I knew immediately that good things would come of the relationship. Lovely Denise explained that she and her business partner had set out to create a clothing line that was designed to flatter all shapes and sizes using top-of-the-line, soft, wearable fabrics. Furthermore, they hired women of multiple age groups, heights, and body types to model their clothing on their shopping site, and it was SO refreshing to see lovely, classic duds worn by a few women who were older, shorter, or curvier than the average model.

I asked to see a garment or two in person so that I could write a proper review, and was sent the gorgeous Bob dress from their current line.


I loved the twist front-detailing, but worried that it might actually emphasize my tum instead of downplaying it. Not so! The twist is at once forgiving and eye-catching. The jersey knit material is heavy, supple, and drapes beautifully, making this dress as comfortable as it is flattering. Great details like subtle ruching at the shoulder seams and a sexy deep-v neckline make this a truly gorgeous garment. And I loooooove this sophisticated shade of dusty purple (described as "gray ridge" on the site).

I generally wear a size 8 dress, and had to trade in the medium I was initially sent for a large ... so I imagine that much of the line is cut on the small side. But the large fit like a glove, and could probably work for sizes 10 and 12 as well. (See newest post for updated sizing info.)

Reality in Style garments are a wee bit on the expensive side and may qualify as "investment pieces" for many of us, myself included. Price points on these pieces higher because the clothes are meant to be worn in heavy rotation for long periods and are, therefore, constructed sturdily from high-quality materials. Additionally, the creators of the line sourced patternmakers, marker/graders, cutters, and factories in New York so that they could oversee the process from start to finish. They also hired multiple sizes of fit models so they could be sure that the clothing would be flattering on diverse figures. You may balk, but your dollars are supporting admirable business practices and will bring timeless, high-quality duds into your wardrobe. Just sayin'.



I am truly in love with my Bob dress. It's lightweight enough to make a great spring and summer dress, but the long sleeves mean that I can pair it with tights to take it into fall and winter as well. It's as comfy as any of my formless sweater tunics and 50 times as flattering. This dress is an outright winner.

That's all well and good, I hear you saying, but what's in it for YOU? Well, Reality in Style is offering 45% off their gorgeous wares for Already Pretty readers! Just enter prettyreality when you check out to receive the discount. (UPDATED from 25% - see newest post for more info.)

And if any of you lovely folks live in Las Vegas, the company will be hosting a launch party and trunk show on February 20 where you can get the duds at wholesale prices! Drop me an e-mail at sally@alreadypretty.com if you're interested and I'll send you the deets.

24 comments:

Kelly said...

Seriously Sal, you are SMOKIN' in this dress. It is definitely a keeper.

Kelly said...

Oh and I think your tattoo is the perfect color to go with this. I wouldn't say tattoo color is something people should necessarily always consider when buying clothes, but it really makes both the dress and the ink "pop."

The Patersons said...

Phew-wheet! (Lame attempt at wolf whistle) You look stunning! It's definitely hot.

I have to say, your smile is your best accessory.

bekster said...

It is definitely a very lovely dress on a very lovely person.

Make Do Style said...

It is always interesting that well made locally produced clothes are always perceived as expensive. Actually the true costs is reflected.

I think the pricing is fair, suggests you should buy these simple but well designed and constructed over lots of cheaper badly manufactured ready to wear items.

I love that they are built for durability too. Isobella Oliver is the equivalent in the UK but not so sure that they live up on the local produce etc. front.

Although some items are a bit plain I get that the classic/basic element is what you can build on.

The dress looks great on your figure and is the perfect length!

Emm said...

Wow--perfect! The v-neck, twisted front, a-line skirt, color, and length of this dress flatter and put the focus squarely on you, not the dress. So when I saw this, my first thought wasn't "great dress" but "man, Sal looks super-wonderful today!" Kudos to that company.

Ashley said...

Wow! You wear the dress SO much better than the model in the pic. I wouldn't have given the dress a second thought if you hadn't included your picture. It looks amazing on you! And now I'm off to go check out their line!

Tina Z said...

I have to say, this is one of the best looks I've seen you in! Please don't take that as a backhanded compliment, I really mean that you look fantastic all the time, but this dress, WOW!!!! I may try one myself, thanks for the discount.

Andrea said...

You look stunning in that dress! If it came in XL, I would be all over that thang!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

"Designed to flatter all shapes and sizes"? Their Large fits you, and you usually wear a size 8. Large is their largest size. What's missing here? Seems to me like their clothing, lovely as it is, is made for less than half the population. I'm disappointed because this knot front style is one that works really well on me, and I would have gladly spent the $$. But I wear a 16.

Samantha said...

Yowza!!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Just wanted you all to know I got a lovely email from Rachel at Reality in Style saying they are introducing size XL soon! Yeah! It's nice to know this is a business that listens to their customers needs. I will definitely keep my eye on their site!

Denise said...

Along with Couture Allure, I was psyched when you wrote "all" sizes. Imagine my disappointment, but somehow not surprise, when "all" ends at size 14. But wait! It might now go up to 16! Count me and my 18+ sisters unimpressed.

Like I said, I'm not surprised, but I'm surprisingly pissed off again by the claim of "all," and I'm still not accounted for. And here's the rub: I am one of those women who wouldn't think twice about laying down 200 bucks for a pair of flattering trousers that would last me more than a few seasons.

spacegeek said...

OMG love it!! Immediately thought I would have to have it, but... not at $390! Not even at 25% off--not in my price range! I don't mind spending $150-200 for a dress, but not $400! So I'm bummed, but boy you look awesome!

Rachel said...

Spacegeek -- Will you email me directly? We don't want you bummed!

Red said...

This is the exact dress I have been looking for for ages -- flattering for curvy figures, slip on, natural fiber jersey, solid color, and SLEEVES (for these cold, New England winters)!

I, too, am willing to spend a bit more for conscientiously produced items (especially when made in the USA) and understand why they cost more, but like many I have been hit hard by the recession and simply cannot afford the nearly $400 price tag, even with the 25% off coupon. To quote spacegeek "I'm bummed" because this really is an amazing dress. The color looks especially amazing on you, Sal.

Jovial Vida said...

fabulous dress - looks absolutely great on you! also, I'm not sure if you've discussed this before but I love your tattoo! What does it mean and where did you get it?

Rachel said...

We are so grateful to Sally and her readers that the code will give readers 45% off. Sally and her readers are so helpful. Thanks for all the feedback and enjoy!

five tomatoes said...

That dress really is stunning on you! I'd considering ordering once they made it in my size, but since I'm always a 16 in dresses, it's not for me yet!

K.Line said...

Man you look so great in this - the cut, the colour - they are really fantastic.

angie said...

STUNNING frock. Everything about it is just perfect on you. The colour, cut, sheen and drape oozes fabness. I wonder if the sleeves would look nice scrunched-up too? I really like you in this length of dress and skirt, Sally. Very flattering!

Vix said...

I am a sucker for draping and ruching so am totally biased, but I absolutely agree with the consensus: this sihouette looks great on you!

[In general, though, I think I hold a minority viewpoint since I firmly believe V or scoop necks are your #1 amazing neckline look.]

Nice to see Rachel responding to the comments on sizing, too. If I didn't already have a (sarong-inspired! so at least drapey) dress in the works, I'd be sorely tempted to splurge on the 45% off deal....

Miss Outlier said...

Love the dress! Did you and the YouLookFab ladies conspire today? :)

http://youlookfab.com/2010/02/04/the-flattering-effects-of-front-knot-detailing/

Thanks for sharing!

Hanako66 said...

that looks beautiful on you....seriously, so gorgeous!