Thursday, April 15, 2010

Obakki Dress Review


Initially, the lovely folks at Obakki sent me a fantastically sculptural wool dress, but I could barely squeeze my thigh into it. It was a size 8, and while I certainly have been known to go up to a 10 or 12 in certain styles of dress, this guy looked a lot like a U.S. size 4 to me. So I traded it in for this brown silk summer dress instead, a size 12 and a perfect fit in the hips. I swapped out the self-belt for this studded affair and glammed myself up a bit for the shoot!


It's not my typical style, and I couldn't exactly wear it to work on its own. But man alive, it's absolutely sumptuous to wear. Soft, flowy, elegant, and avant-garde. This is the kind of dress I'll be glad to have around when I start getting invited to fancy-ass cocktail hours, or need to look as high-fashiony as possible.


Obakki is a Canadian company that designs and sells arty, unusual garments from top quality materials. This stuff ain't cheap, my friends, I won't lie to you. But there are some AMAZING deals to be had in the sale section of their website., and you can get 10% off your purchase by using code "alreadypretty." Additionally, the associated foundation raises money for a variety of worthy causes, and donates all foundation sales proceeds directly.

Are you gonna stock up from this amazing vendor? No. But this blouse is bound to turn heads, and this dress is gorgeously classic, and neither piece is going to be recognizable as mass-market mall goods or overbranded designer duds. If you're looking to invest in gorgeously unusual pieces, Obakki is a great bet.

22 comments:

caffeinerd said...

This dress looks amazing on you! Love the heels, too.

Angeline said...

What a beautiful dress! It is definitely unique with its shape and draping. It flatters you very nicely. Way to go!

Sidewalk Chalk said...

I really like this dress and it looks so great on you. It's edgy but elegant, kinda like a modern-day Greek goddess dress.

Erin said...

You look positively fierce! LOVE.

Ecc3ntricCynic said...

Badass, Miss Lady! Seriously that dress is amazing on you. You look like you could take the world by storm.

Jo said...

You. Are. FIERCE.

Samantha said...

Yowza!

Lily said...

Lovely dress! And you look like Liv Tyler in that first pic!

Laura. said...

SALLY! are you going to voltage tonight?! if you are, this would be perfect. just sayin.

K.Line said...

Holy Schmoly - you are like some sexy character from a scifi film!! Love this.

Audi said...

WOW, this is a stunner, Sal.

Jilliebeanie said...

Yowza. You are smokin' in this dress!

angie said...

Beautiful, Sally! That's my type of frock.

The belt, the shoes, your tattoos and your hair up like that *make* the outfit. You've styled it perfectly.

Jean said...

Wowee Zoweee! Sal, you MAKE this your style of frock! Great choice of accessories too. I discovered Obakki about 2 years ago. Love their designs, yet out of my available cache. Some day, some day . . . :-)

lisa said...

Imagine my surprise at seeing a Canadian label reviewed on Already Pretty, and one based in Vancouver no less! I've walked past their flagship store in Gastown many times (it's close to the John Fluevog flagship...man, you'd die of happiness if you came to Vancouver Sal!). I agree, from what I've seen of their label the sizes do tend to run a bit small.

Sonja said...

Hubba hubba! You look amazing! Lovin the sexy side of Sally!

Sal said...

Laura.: Sadly, no. I'm off to visit my parents!

- tessa said...

When I googled "why they call tattoes body ART," these pictures were there. Please, please do a Sunday Shoes post on these stunners soon!

Frances Joy said...

That dress is to die for. I love how you styled it!

A said...

wow, what an incredible dress!!

Kyla said...

That is a WICKED hot dress! I LOVE it with the studded belt.

Anonymous said...

I think this is the first UN-frumpy outfit you have ever posted/worn! Congratulations! Love the draping & the updo...great look!