Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tsubo Elath Review


This, dear friends, is the Tsubo Elath. I received my very own pair a few weeks ago while still in the throes of my disc-related back pain. I had been slogging around in a pair of $12 Target ballet flats that offered absolutely no arch support and threatened to disintegrate whenever it rained.

So you can imagine my delight when I slipped my tired feet into these beauties for the first time. They're a sleek, classic design, as you can see, but loaded to the gills with squishy comfort. The rounded toebox is roomy and accommodating, the insole is as supportive and soft as it can be, and the rear doesn't ride up and down the way so many flats do.

I wore them home to visit my parents, and we spent two hours walking around a vintage fair, an hour walking around downtown Chicago, and three hours walking around an antique show. Even after all that, my feet AND back felt great.


I will admit that these flats have gotten less love since my physical therapy has started working and my back has stopped aching ... but they are, hands down, the best flats I've ever tried on. They get full marks for both comfort and style, and prompted me to do this with my crappy old Target pair:


I'll never look back. I'm an Elath girl all the way, now.

12 comments:

Hannah said...

So no blisters on the back of the heel? That is always my problem with flats that have arch support (which I need since my dad who is a chiropractor informed me that my arch is starting to calcify because my shoes are not supportive enough. ouch!)

interrobangsanon said...

Great looking shoes, but it gets frustrating to find cute pair after cute pair that don't come in narrow widths.

JuliaDeBarri said...

^^For narrow feet, try Clarks or Naturalizer flats. I have a couple of pretty ones by each brand that stay on my narrow feet just fine. Oh, and Vaneli--they seem to make a leopard flat most every fall, and their shoes usually come in narrow. There's also a Tsubo flat very similar to this one but with an ankle strap, which stays on just fine. It also helps to read reviews at places like Zappos or Amazon. I found out that way that many Farylrobin B widths are, in fact, genuine narrows, which helped me get some really unusual retro heels and even a cute pair of flats! But if you want a slip-on flat--no straps or laces--try those first brands for starters. Both Zappos and Nordstrom carry a LOT of narrows, too. Good luck!

Courtney said...

They sound fabulous! Is the toe box as short as it looks? I don't like to wear shoes that give me toe cleavage. :)

Sal said...

Hannah: After six straight hours of walking, they had started to rub a bit. But nothing like the Target flats, or even my Puma and Crocs flats!

Courtney: Gosh, I don't THINK these gave me toe cleavage. And I generally notice that!

talitha_3k said...

doesn't look like there's any toe cleavage in the picture, which is good!

that picture of you destroying the Target flats is hilarious!

Alison said...

awesome, I'm glad you found some really great flats. Now you can go to them every now and again to help keep your body healthy! Love them!

V said...

Unfortunately, my feet need wide (2E) shoes and they don't have that in this style.

Rebekah said...

Next time you're tempted to murder an unsuspecting pair of shoes, send 'em my way; I run a shelter.

Elle said...

Thanks so much for this review. I had never heard of Tsubo until I started reading your blog, and while I haven't purchased a pair yet, I have plans to. They will have you to thank for many new customers, I suspect!

Elissa said...

Totally cute outfit!! They look much more elegant on than not... I need some quality flats in my life fo sho!

Lucy Starcrest said...

These are on sale at endless.com right now for $49:
http://www.endless.com/TSUBO-ELATH-Womens-Elath-Slip-On/dp/B002PHMICO

Seems like a good price for Tsubos. I might have to pick up a pair or two!